IMPORTANT INFORMATION - Winter Weather Conditions across Rutland
By nora_hs | Sunday, January 20, 2013, 20:42
Rutland County Council has just updated its website to advise that after a day of heavy snowfall, local farmers are helping the gritting lorries clear main routes across Rutland.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION - Winter Weather Update across Rutland
The website states that if there is no more snow, road conditions should be improved for the morning commute . . . however, it is still snowing in Oakham, so this may be a huge challenge. Town centre pavements will be cleared at the earliest opportunity.
How to keep up to date
- Local people are advised to follow Rutland County Council on Twitter @rutlandcouncil for regular alerts.
- Rutland Radio (107.2FM and 97.4FM) also provides regular updates.
- Link to Oakham People weather page.
There is a possibility that some schools may take the decision to close on Monday morning if snow keeps falling. To find out if your child's / childrens school is affected by the weather, listen to Rutland Radio from 6am tomorrow morning on 107.2FM (Oakham side of county) and 97.4FM (Stamford side of county)
Rutland Radio also has a school closures page which is kept up-to-date
Major roads are being heavily gritted during this wintry weather, particularly at known trouble spots. During periods of snowfall, it often comes down at a faster rate than the gritters can clear it, so driving conditions may be hazardous for a few hours.
- Glaston Road (known locally as Gashouse Hill) Uppingham, between the A47 and North Street East is closed to through traffic on safety grounds as a water leak and freezing conditions are making driving conditions dangerous.
- Ashwell gatehouse, the small-unmanned level crossing on Langham Lane Ashwell, has been closed due to damage to the barriers after a vehicle failed to stop at the level crossing gates. (This is not the main crossing between Ashwell and Whissendine by the signal box, but the one on the back roads to Langham). The road will remain closed for several days while Network Rail obtain parts to repair the gates. Drivers will have to take the diversion via the C7316, Burley Road, Langham to Ashwell prison Roundabout and the C8320 Oakham Road Ashwell to Ashwell and vice versa.
Please check out Emergency Planning bad weather guidance during periods of heavy snowfall. You can also download a 'Keep Warm and Healthy' (pdf) leaflet which the council publishes providing advice for during cold weather conditions.